Navigating post-accident care can be daunting, especially when unsure who to turn to for your injuries. We have encountered a question from auto accident victims: “Should I see a medical doctor or chiropractor after a car accident?” Below, our Los Angeles car accident lawyers discuss whether you should see a medical doctor or chiropractor after a car crash and why.

Do I See a Medical Doctor or Chiropractor After a Car Accident?

You should seek medical attention immediately after an auto accident. Obtaining a medical evaluation following an auto accident is paramount for several reasons. For one, it is critical for your health. Some injuries, such as whiplash or internal injuries, may not exhibit symptoms immediately. Yet, if left untreated, they could lead to chronic pain and other complications. You want to ensure you begin any necessary medical treatment right away.Woman lying on a therapy bed while her chiropractor stretches her arm and bends her legs

Additionally, a thorough medical evaluation creates a record of your injuries. These records can be crucial if you need to file a personal injury claim for damages. Without an immediate medical assessment, it may be difficult to prove that your injuries resulted from the accident.

Why You Should See a Medical Doctor or Chiropractor for Auto Accident Injuries

You should go to the emergency room (ER) if you need emergency care after a car accident. Even if you do not need emergency room care or believe your injuries are minor, you should always see a medical doctor or primary care physician for a complete medical evaluation. You should not see a chiropractor instead of a medical doctor.

Medical doctors possess a broad range of knowledge that allows them to diagnose and treat various serious injuries that might occur from a car accident. They can identify immediate injuries and injuries that may not be immediately apparent, like internal bleeding, soft-tissue injuries, or traumatic brain injuries. They can develop a medical care and treatment plan, refer you to specialists, and prescribe pain medication if needed.

On the other hand, a chiropractor is an orthopedic specialist with expertise in treating issues of the nervous system and musculoskeletal system. However, they cannot prescribe medication or perform surgery. Instead, you may see a chiropractor for neck or lower back pain to realign joints, therapy for soft tissue injuries, pain relief, or restore joint stability. Depending on your injuries, chiropractic care may be beneficial as one part of your treatment plan. However, many car accident injuries require more comprehensive tests, diagnosis, and treatment than a chiropractor can provide.Person wearing a white lab coat with arms crossed and one hand holding a stethoscope

Should I See Both a Doctor and a Chiropractor After an Auto Accident?

Medical doctors and chiropractic care can uniquely affect your medical treatment plan after a car crash. Depending on the scope and severity of your auto accident injury, it may be best to see both. However, again, you should always see a doctor first.

However, again, you should see a medical doctor first. Our Los Angeles car accident attorneys recommend following your primary doctor’s treatment plan. If your doctor recommends chiropractic treatment for back, neck, chronic pain, or spine issues, you should see a chiropractor for follow-up treatment.

What Tests Are Done After a Car Accident?

Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers

Have you recently suffered an auto accident injury in Southern California? Did someone else’s negligence result in your auto accident wounds? If so, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, loss of income, and other incurred damages.

At the Law Offices of Steers & Associates, we have over 40 years of combined experience and success in helping people like you obtain compensation for their damages. During a free consultation, a personal injury lawyer can answer your legal questions and help determine whether you have a viable personal injury case. Call us today at (800) 824-5416 or submit our online contact form to get started.

Request Your Free Consultation

"*" indicates required fields