What is a Los Angeles Uber Accident Lawyer?
An “Uber accident lawyer” is a lawyer who specializes in practicing personal injury law and has experience working with car accident claims and ridesharing companies such as Uber. We have successfully handled multiple claims against Uber and were one of the first law firms in Los Angeles handling Uber injury claims.
Who can file an injury claim after an Uber accident?
Anyone who was injured due to someone’s negligence has the right to be compensated for those injuries.
A few possibilities include:
- A driver or passenger injured by an Uber driver who was at fault.
- An Uber driver who was injured by another driver.
- An injured passenger in an Uber vehicle, regardless of which driver is at fault.
What is Uber?
As of 2018, most people in California know what Uber is, however, we are asked this question often. Not everyone has used Uber and plenty of people have no idea what it means to be involved in an accident with Uber.
In California, Uber is known as a Transportation Network Company (TNC). As a TNC, Uber was required to obtain special licenses from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).
How Uber works:
- Uber for passengers: Passengers open the Uber app on their smart phone and select a destination and pick up point. A nearby Uber driver responds to the request for pickup, and usually within minutes the ride arrives and picks up the passengers and transports them to their destination. The Uber app saves people time and money and is more convenient than taking a traditional taxicab.
- Uber for drivers: Uber drivers turn on their app whenever they feel like working. They respond to passenger requests by accepting their ride and pick up the passengers and take them to where they need to go. Uber drivers use their own vehicles.
The explosion of ridesharing apps like Uber have caused real tensions with taxi services and drivers around the world. The taxi services argue that Uber drivers are not required to meet the same standards their drivers are and that Uber is essentially operating a virtual gypsy cab service. Uber partisans counter by pointing out that in many places, getting a taxi license or medallion is extremely expensive and that Uber is merely applying market conditions to a commodity (transportation) all too often controlled by a cartel or monopoly.
In Paris the protests got particularly heated in the summer of 2015 as cab drivers attempted to shut down the city and some attacked Uber cars. Musician Courtney Love was in one car that was attacked as she tweeted her experience live.
Compensation after an Accident
After any type of auto accident, you might be eligible to receive compensation for damages. Some of those damages could include:
- Medical bills for your injury
- Medical bills reasonably expected to be incurred in the future
- Lost earnings and wages reasonably expected to be lost in the future
- Any permanent disability or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of a normal life
Dealing with insurance companies after an accident
If you have been injured or a loved one has been injured or killed you should speak to an experienced Los Angeles car accident lawyer before talking to insurance companies if at all possible.
Insurance companies have one thing in mind, and that is to minimize the amount they spend on compensating you for your injuries. The less they spend, the more they make. That is how insurance companies make money.
Uber’s drivers are covered by $1 million in liability and in uninsured (UM)/underinsured motorist coverage (UIM). The insurance covering Uber means victims injured in an Uber accident where they are not at fault may be able to be fully compensated for their medical costs, lost income, and pain and suffering. Uber drivers are covered by this insurance from the moment they accept a passenger request until they have dropped the passenger off at their destination.
This graphic below shows when people are covered by Uber’s insurance:
There are many different ways people can be injured in an accident involving an Uber driver. Here are just a few:
- Uber driver is injured as a result of someone’s negligence
- Uber driver is distracted and causes an accident
- A passenger is injured in an Uber driver’s vehicle
- Another vehicle is hit by a vehicle being driven by an Uber driver
- A pedestrian or bicyclist is hit by an Uber driver
Uber services in Los Angeles, California
Uber was founded in San Francisco in 2009 (originally as “Ubercab” and California was the first state to legalize Uber in 2013, so it isn’t surprising to find that most of Uber’s services are available in Los Angeles. Uber has been picking people up at LAX since January, 2016.
Currently Uber offers six variations of its service in Los Angeles: Uber POOL, uber X, Uber XL, UberSELECT, UberBLACK, UberSUV, and UberLux. All of these services work through Uber’s app and all payments are electronic. Some of the hot spots in LA County include:Downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica,Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach.
Contact a Los Angeles Uber Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one is an Uber driver, or you were a passenger injured in an Uber vehicle, contact us today for a free consultation and case evaluation. We have recovered millions of dollars of compensation for victims of car accidents in Los Angeles.
An attorney is not needed in each and every case, however, if serious injuries were involved, an experienced attorney will often help you receive significantly more compensation for your injuries than you would receive without them. Call us for a free consultation after any injury.
Yes. While insurance is complicated for drivers, Uber passengers are covered at all times. However, insurers will often pay out as little as possible. Speak to an attorney if you have been involved in an accident as an Uber passenger.
Although Uber is an innovative business which seeks to neutralize underutilized vehicles with people who are seeking rides, like everything else in life, Uber’s drivers are imperfect humans and are occasionally involved in car accidents. In one case, in San Francisco, a driver struck and killed a six-year-old girl on New Year’s Eve in 2013. Uber settled out of court due to this wrongful death suit.
In a case in Ohio, an Uber driver backed over a woman who inexplicably moved behind the car after an argument with her husband, who had summoned the service.
And in Manhattan, an Uber driver struck and killed a pedestrian and also injured his girlfriend.
Uber runs criminal background checks on all drivers. At times Uber drivers have also been accused of serious criminal behavior, ranging from simple assault to drug dealing, kidnapping and many others.
Here are some of the things that have allegedly happened, starting with Los Angeles and California before looking at several other cities and states.
- Off-Duty LA Driver Accused of Sexual Assault
- LA Driver Used Gig As a Cover to Sell Drugs
- Driver Allegedly Kidnaps Drunk Woman in LA and Take to Motel
- USC Student Says Driver Raped Her
- San Francisco Passenger Struck In Head with Hammer
- San Francisco Customer Claims Abuse and Assault
- San Francisco Child Struck and Killed
- Three San Francisco Women Say Driver Sexually Harassed Them
- Driver Investigated After Alleged Sexual Assault in Mar Vista, California
- San Francisco Driver Accused of Assault Had Served Prison Time for Felony
- Convicted Felon in California Passes ’s Background Check
- 8 California Drivers with Extensive Criminal Histories
- Manhattan Driver Kills Pedestrian
- New York Woman Says Driver Grabbed, Assaulted Her
- Driver Takes NYC Woman on Nightmare $293 Zigzagging Odyssey
- New York-based Journalist Sexually Harassed and Stalked by Drive
- Fake Driver Sexually Assaults Passenger in Manhattan
- Houston Driver Accused of Rape Started Work After 14 Years in Federal Prison
- Houston Driver Accused of Sexually Assaulting Customer
- Houston Driver Accused of Rape Served 14 Years in Federal Prison
- Philadelphia Driver Beats Model
- Philadelphia Driver Accused of Rape
- Philadelphia Woman Says She Was Raped and Kidnapped by an X Driver
- Writer and Activist Choked in DC
- Alleged Driver Stabbing in DC
- DC Passenger Allegedly Assaulted for Burping
- DC Driver Accused of Molesting Rider
- DC Driver Arrested for Alleged Rape (but not charged)
- Alleged Assault by Chicago Driver
- Chicago Driver Charged with Sexual Assault, Unlawful Restraint and kidnapping
- Chicago Driver Arrested for Threatening to Shoot Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Others
- Chicago Felon Found Driving for
A recent review:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ I was in an accident where my car was totaled. At first, I thought I could handle things by myself but then my pain began to get much worse. I hired Allen based on the recommendation of a friend and he did not disappoint. He was very fast in answering my calls and emails. He also got me the maximum settlement from the other person’s insurance and then got me compensation from my insurance too. – James