We’re Los Angeles Lyft Accident Lawyers Dedicated To Helping Accident Victims Like You
There are complexities to an Uber or Lyft accident that make them far different than average car accidents. When a rideshare accident occurs, you need strong legal representation, but not just from any accident lawyer. In order to pursue compensation, you must file a successful Lyft accident claim, which not every Los Angeles car accident lawyer can help with. Turn to the trusted team at Steers and Associates to hold the at-fault party accountable for what you have suffered.
What Is Lyft?
Lyft is what’s known as a transportation network company that’s based out of San Francisco. Like Uber, it’s available in nearly 100 cities in California, and Los Angeles is one of those cities. It operates off of the Lyft mobile communication application. Users download the application, and they enter their personal information along with an acceptable form of payment like a credit card.
They can then request a ride from a Lyft driver in or around their area who is on duty and logged into the Lyft system. Wait time averages about four minutes. Riders are sent photos of the vehicle picking them up and the driver. You’ll know the Lyft car when it arrives. There’s a big pink mustache on the grill of every vehicle that’s associated with Lyft.
How Much Is Your Settlement Worth?
Schedule a completely free, no obligation consultation with our team
In Los Angeles, CA, people take Lyft home from bars, to commute to work, or from LAX to their destinations in Long Beach, Valencia and other destinations such as Hollywood. Basically, they take Lyft to many of the places they used to take a taxicab to.
Whether or not rideshare drivers are independent contractors or employees has been the subject of much litigation in recent years in California. If you have been involved in an accident involving a Lyft driver, it is important that your attorney knows how to navigate the legal issues involved regarding agency, vicarious liability and course and scope of employment.
Lyft drivers’ liability coverage with their personal auto insurance does not typically provide coverage after a Lyft accident unless supplemental ridesharing coverage was purchased. If no ridesharing coverage was obtained then Lyft’s insurance coverage can apply. Accident claims can quickly become confusing after an accident of this nature, so be sure to contact a Lyft accident attorney immediately about being injured in an accident.
Should I Talk to Lyft or the Other Driver’s Insurance if I’ve Been Seriously Injured?
Anything you say to Lyft could potentially impact your future claim.
If you are a Lyft passenger involved in a crash, usually within minutes a member of Lyft’s “Trust and Safety Team” will be contacting you to open an internal report. While this may appear like great customer service, be aware that ride-sharing and insurance companies such as Uber and Lyft have an interest in limiting the amount they must pay for your injuries.
You have the right to consult with a Lyft accident attorney before speaking about your car accident, your injury, or any property damage you suffered in the crash. Schedule a free consultation with a Lyft accident attorney from the Law Offices of Steers & Associates as soon as you can. In your free case evaluation, we’ll help you understand the next steps you can take to get the settlement you deserve.
What Should I Do After Getting Into a Lyft Accident?
Get Medical Attention
If you have been involved in an accident with an Uber or Lyft, you should first seek medical attention right away. Ensuring that you are healthy, safe, and not in any immediate medical danger is of the utmost importance after Lyft accidents. If you have been involved in a rideshare accident and became medically injured afterward, it’s never smart to assume that your injuries are minor or don’t need medical attention. Even cuts, bruises, bumps, and scrapes can be an indicator of a more serious injury.
Seek medical attention right away to ensure that you’re safe. The only way to be properly certain that you’re in stable condition is to consult with a medical professional. Plus, the only way to make sure your injuries are properly documented is to do so at the hospital or with a doctor. For example, if you fail to go to the hospital with leg pain after a car accident, and a week later the injury becomes even more serious, there’s no way to tie that leg injury back to your rideshare accident.
Get Insurance Information From the Uber or Lyft Driver
If you have been involved in a car accident involving an Uber or Lyft driver, they have a responsibility to provide you with their contact information and insurance information. Always be sure to get the rideshare driver’s name, phone number, and email address as well as their insurance information.
Take Photos of the Accident Scene
Use your cell phone and take as many clear photos as you can of the accident scene. If the Uber or Lyft accident occurred at night time, use flash to illuminate the scene of the accident and get as clear of a photo as you can. Take photos of the damage done to your vehicle and your injuries, if possible. If any of your personal property has become damaged in the vehicle, take a photo of that as well.
If there are street signs that indicate how fast the cars should have been doing, this can serve as evidence too. Road signs, streetlights, potholes, and evidence of any inclement weather are all strong photographs to take to paint the picture of the accident to your rideshare accident lawyer.
Call the Police and Schedule a Free Consultation With a Los Angeles Uber Attorney
Be sure to file a formal police report with local law enforcement, as it is the law. Next, call a lawyer as soon as possible. Not all Lyft accident lawyers offer a free consultation for Uber and Lyft accidents, but our attorneys do. We take the time to listen to your unique situation and will stop at nothing to give you the best advice possible for your specific accident case.
Do Lyft Drivers Have Insurance?
There are special insurance requirements for transportation network companies such as Lyft. In LA, and the rest of California, Lyft is regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). Drivers who use Lyft may be in various “periods” depending on if they’re using Lyft, on the way to pick up a passenger, or if they have a passenger in their vehicle.
Those periods are:
- Personal Policy: Under California State Law AB 2293, a driver’s personal insurance policy does not cover their rideshare driving unless they’ve also purchased ridesharing coverage.
- Period 1: Period 1 begins when a driver logs in to “driver mode” in the Lyft App, and ends when they accept a ride request, known as a “match notification”. During this phase, Lyft provides $200k Excess Liability.
- Period 2: Period 2 begins when a Lyft driver accepts a ride request. As of 2017, Lyft offers $1 million in liability insurance and $1 million in uninsured / under-insured motorist coverage. This insurance is in effect until the passenger is dropped off at their destination.
How Are People Injured in Lyft Accidents?
There are many different ways people can be injured in a car accident involving a Los Angeles Lyft-related automobile, here are just a few:
- Lyft driver is injured as a result of someone’s negligence
- Lyft driver is distracted or negligent and causes an accident
- A passenger is injured in a Lyft driver’s vehicle
- Another vehicle is hit by a Lyft driver’s car
- A pedestrian or bicyclist is hit by a Lyft driver
Damages Recoverable in Lyft Accidents
If you have been hurt due to someone else’s negligence, you have the right to pursue compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit. Depending on the details of your injury claim, your lawyer can fight for a variety of forms of compensation for you. Every case is different, yet primarily medical care is the most crucial kind of compensation for an injured victim. If you have suffered bodily injury because of an Uber or Lyft accident, you shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for the expense of your care.
Your Lyft driver’s personal insurance may come into play when it comes time to receive your compensation, as some of the money may come from their coverage.
If you’ve been injured as a result of the carelessness and negligence of a Lyft driver, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries and damages. Your Lyft accident lawyer will fight for your right to compensation that covers the following expenses:
- Past and future medical bills: If you’ve been injured in a rideshare accident, you should not have to pay out of pocket to cover the cost of your injuries. Your Lyft accident lawyer will fight for your right to medical bill compensation, which can cover the cost of expenses such as hospital visits, emergency room care, doctor’s office co-pays, the cost of your prescription medication, and the cost of care such as rehabilitation, physical or occupational therapy, surgery, or other treatments.
- Past and future lost earnings: Los Angeles residents who have been injured in car accidents most often become unable to work due to the serious nature of their injuries. When you have to stay home to nurse injuries, especially injuries that were caused due to someone else’s negligence, you should not have to suffer from missed money in your paycheck. Your rideshare accident lawyer will fight for your right to the wages you lost while you were recovering from the accident. Additionally, you may be able to get you compensation for any future lost earnings as well. If you have been injured in such a way that you are unable to work anymore, you may be able to receive disability payments, but being compensated for your loss of earning capacity will be considered as well.
- Any permanent disfigurement: Permanent disfigurement changes the course of a car accident victim’s life forever. Your Los Angeles Uber accident lawyer will fight for you to receive a settlement for your permanent disfigurement, as well as loss of your future earnings and associated pain and suffering from the accident.
- Any permanent disability: Similar to the above, if you have been permanently disabled by a rideshare accident, our California law professionals will fight for your right to compensation that covers this loss.
- Pain and suffering: In addition to the physical stress, discomfort, and inconvenience that injuries cause, pain, and suffering are just as challenging. The anxiety, post-traumatic stress and depression an accident victim feels after an Uber or Lyft accident can be life-changing. You deserve to be compensated for this.
- Loss of a normal life: A serious injury, or even a traumatic occurrence, can take a toll on the trajectory of your life forever. If you have been involved in a serious rideshare accident with a Los Angeles Uber or Lyft, our personal injury lawyers will defend your right to compensation for a loss of a normal life. You should not have to suffer if things haven’t felt the same since your accident.
Contact a Los Angeles Lyft Accident Attorney Today
If you’ve been seriously hurt in an accident involving a Los Angeles Lyft vehicle, you don’t want to be in a position of having to negotiate your own settlement. Lyft might sound concerned about your injuries, but once those courtroom doors close, and a trial starts, you can expect a courtroom battle.
As accident attorneys, we’re knowledgeable, experienced, and aggressive auto accident lawyers, and we know how Lyft tries to exculpate itself from liability in accident cases. A free consultation with our law firm after any Lyft accident allows you the best opportunity for learning your options when it comes to insurance coverage and liability coverage.
Never give a written or recorded statement to Lyft or its insurance company. It will only be used against you in the future. Contact us first for a consultation and case evaluation after any Lyft accident that occurred anywhere in CA.
A Recent Review:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ I was in an accident where my car was totaled. At first, I thought I could handle things by myself but then my pain began to get much worse. I hired Allen based on the recommendation of a friend and he did not disappoint. He was very fast in answering my calls and emails. He also got me the maximum settlement from the other person’s insurance and then got me compensation from my insurance too. – James