Have you, or someone close to you fallen victim to a slip-and-fall hazard at a grocery store in Los Angeles or Southern California?
Contact us today for a free consultation. We’ll discuss your rights as a victim, and what we can do to make sure that those responsible are held accountable.
Slip-And-Fall Injuries At Los Angeles Grocery Stores
Slip-and-fall accidents in grocery stores are very common, however victims are often unaware of their rights to sue. Even under the bright, fluorescent lights of grocery store, most slip-and-fall victims are in the dark in regards to the store’s legal responsibility for slip-and-fall hazards. Fortunately, Steers Law Firm is here to shed light on the topic for you.
Grocery stores injuries make up a majority of all shopping injuries, which lead to thousands of personal injury claims each and every year. At first, you may feel silly or embarrassed for falling while grocery shopping, but know that you are not alone. Along with the hundreds of thousands of other Americans injured in grocery store slip-and-fall accidents, you have legal options.
A few of the grocery stores in Los Angeles County include:
- Super King
- Trader Joe’s
Steps to take after a slip and fall accident
If you are involved in a slip-and-fall accident, there are very specific things that you should and should not do. Below is a list of things that, if followed closely, will help your chances of filing a successful lawsuit against those responsible for your injuries.
- Refrain from making any detailed statements in regards to fault or blame.
- Collect the names of owners and managers of property, as well as any employees with which you had personal contact.
- Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Take many detailed photographs of scene of the incident, and any injuries sustained.
- Set aside and preserve footwear and clothing worn at the time of the incident.
- Seek out professional medical attention in the event of any type of injury
- Do not provide a recorded statement to insurance adjusters.
Common causes of slip and fall accidents
The obvious cause of a slip-and-fall injury would be a slippery substance on the floor, but that’s only one of many possible causes. In fact, there are many way to slip and fall in a grocery store that might not be immediately obvious. The most common contributing causes to slip-and-fall injuries in grocery stores are:
- Improperly positioned or missing entrance and exit floor mats
- Slick floors from leaks near the produce and refrigerated sections
- Malfunctioning entrance and exit doors
- Items falling from shelves, leaving puddles in the isles
- Boxes, pallets, and food creating obstructions in the aisles
- Cracked, damaged, or uneven pavement in the parking lot or side walk
You don’t have be a paying customer to sue
A grocery store’s legal obligations are not dependent on your completed purchase of any of their goods. A lawsuit in regards to a slip-and-fall incident at a grocery store is hinged on negligence, rather than a contractual relationship between you and the store.
You can sue even for minor falls
A trip to the hospital is not necessary for you to be able to sue for a slip-and-fall injury in a grocery store. Just a standard visit to your general practitioner, or persistent pain associated with your slip-and-fall incident can be enough to warrant damages from a slip-and-fall suit. In some cases, the damage caused by a fall may seem less serious than it actually is, especially in senior citizens.
Contact an attorney today
If you would like to discuss your slip-and-fall incident in a grocery store with a personal injury attorney do determine whether it’s worth suing over contact us today for a free consultation.
Grocery Store Resources