A man attempting to elude police crashed into a SUV in West Covina Saturday, October 12, 2019, around 2 a.m. The accident happened as police attempted to stop an alleged carjacker driving a Maroon Jeep struck the SUV and left the road stopping in a field near the corner of S. Glendora and E Cameron avenues in West Covina. Police say that a husband and wife were tragically killed in the collision, and the woman’s 13-year-old boy was critically injured.

According to a police spokesperson, the pursuit started some time after 1 a.m. when police were alerted to a carjacking and attempted to stop the Jeep but it kept going. Police pursued the vehicle down Glendora Avenue when it struck the SUV as it was crossing Cameron Avenue.

The man driving the Jeep was injured and taken to a local hospital. The investigation is still ongoing, and charges are expected to be filed.

Police Chase Injuries

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, over 300 people die each year in accidents involving a police chase. The victims are often innocent bystanders or occupants of a vehicle not involved in the chase. When someone is injured because of a fleeing suspect, many wonder how they are going to pay for their financial losses.

Suing the Police

Police in California are protected from lawsuits by the actions the police in a police chase. In 2018, the California Supreme Court upheld a law passed in 2005 law that protected police from lawsuits from chases so long as the members of the police department had complied with police chase training. In fact, the court held that even if there is not 100 percent compliance, the protection from lawsuits still stands.

Insurance for Police Pursuit Injuries

If the at-fault driver involved in the chase has insurance, it may pay for the damages, but only if the driver hadn’t stolen the car or attempted to intentionally hit another vehicle.

In some cases, you may be able to file against the city’s or county’s insurance for some of the damages, but this option has many limitations. Another option is to file against your own insurance if you have medpay, personal injury protection (PIP) or uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM). These policy provisions provide protection for the insured in an accident even if they weren’t in a car or they were a passenger in a car.

Contact a Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney

The best thing to do when injured in an automobile accident is to talk to an attorney. Even if you don’t hire one, you owe it to yourself to be advised of the law by an impartial professional. Then if you decide to get representation, then choose someone who is experienced and understands the law. Call the Law Offices of Steers & Associates at 800 824 5416 or click here to contact us online. We have attorneys with years of experience dealing with every type of motor vehicle accident, and we get results against the insurance companies and their highly-paid lawyers. Call us now to even the playing field and get the compensation you deserve.