A travel van carrying people to see the poppy fields in Lancaster crashed into another car injuring 14 people. The accident happened at North 60th Street West and West Avenue F Saturday afternoon, March 6, 2019, when the van going westbound on Avenue F slammed broadside into a Mini Cooper and rolled over and hit a utility pole.

According to officials at the scene, drivers on West Avenue F have a stop sign at its intersection with North 60th Street which has no stop sign, and it appeared that the travel van ran the stop sign right before it collided with the Mini Cooper.

In all, 14 people were injured with two having to be extricated from the wreckage of the van. Two victims had to be airlifted to the hospital and ten were transported by ambulance to two local hospitals while two refused to go to the hospital. It’s unclear if any of the occupants of the Mini Cooper were among the injured.

Travel Van Crashes

According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, around 250 people die each year in transit vans and buses. Out of these, 50 are from bus crashes and the rest from smaller vans and travel vehicles. In the last 20 years, the number of deaths from these types of vehicles has gone down primarily due to increased regulation in the industry.

One of the most significant changes is the requirement of seat belts in some travel vehicles which is credited for saving hundreds of lives in the last few decades.

Liability for Injuries in Travel Van Accidents

When a travel van collides with another vehicle, the potential for multiple victims is fairly high. When this happens, the total liability can be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more. In California, the minimum liability allowed for a driver is $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident. This means that if 10 people were injured, there would only be $30,000 to divide among all the injured.

In many cases, this is not enough money to cover the losses, however,  there are other ways for these losses to be compensated:

  • Uninsured/Underinsured: For each passenger who has their own auto insurance, they can use their own policy’s uninsured/underinsured if they have it on their policy. California requires their insured to have this provision on their policy.
  • Medpay/Personal Injury Protection: Each injured might also have these provisions in their own insurance policy. They will pay for medical bills (medpay) and for some other losses stemming from an auto accident like lost time from work and pain and suffering (PIP).
  • Travel Company at Fault: If the fault of the accident was the driver of the travel van, then the commercial policy of the travel company will pay for all the damages. This can come from the insurance company for the travel company, and if that cap amount is reached, the company will be liable for any excess.
  • Travel Company not at Fault: Even if the travel van driver wasn’t at fault, and the at-fault driver’s insurance caps out before all damages are paid, the company still might be liable. A good attorney can evaluate to see if this is a possibility.

Do I need an Attorney?

If you’ve been injured in a travel van accident, you need to talk to an experienced attorney to make sure that you get the compensation source allowed under the law. It takes an experienced attorney who understands how liability and insurance policies work to find any and every source of compensation.

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Steers & Associates have that experience and knowledge. Call us today at 800 824 5416 or click here to contact us online. We have attorneys with years of experience dealing with every type of motor vehicle accident, and we get results against the insurance companies and their highly-paid lawyers.