A 20-year-old woman died after being struck by another vehicle and trapped in her car. The driver fled on foot, and EMS used hydraulic extraction tools to free her, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to police, the accident happened around 8:50 p.m. Monday, May 6, 2019, at the intersection of Alondra Boulevard and South Bullis Road. A video captured the impact, and police say it appeared that the suspect ran a stop sign and T-boned the woman’s Nissan Altima.

Police also say that the driver is facing felony hit-and-run charges and possibly a count of vehicular manslaughter as well depending on the outcome of the investigation.

Hit-and-Run Crashes

The victims of hit-and-run crashes face additional trauma, anxiety and risk when the driver flees the scene. First, the victim feels twice victimized when the driver leave them without rendering assistance or even calling for help.

Then when the person flees, help is often delayed in cases where there is no one around to call for help. At other times, the injured faces more severe injuries because of the delay or lack of first aid. In many accidents, a small delay can mean the difference between a treatable injury to a more serious one or even death.

Injuries at Further Risk in a Hit-and-Run

There are many types of injuries that can happen in a hit-and-run with some putting the victim at higher risk of death or more serious injury. They are:


  • Head injuries: Impacts to the head can cause trauma, brain swelling and death if not treated in a timely manner.
  • Neck Injuries: Neck injuries need to be stabilized quickly and delays might cause more problems.
  • Deep lacerations: Any loss-of-blood injuries can put the victim in danger if first aid is delayed.
  • Punctured Lungs: Broken ribs can lead to a punctured lung which can deprive a person of their ability to breath and get oxygen.
  • Heart Attack: The stress of an accident can cause a heart attack, and a quick response from EMS can make a difference.
  • Pregnancy/Delivery: An accident can put a pregnant woman into labor, and the quicker the response, the more likely there will be a good outcome.

Liability in a Hit-and-Run

When the driver flees, he or she causes more problems and stress for the victim as they wonder who is going to cover their often significant financial losses. Typically, the at-fault driver’s insurance will pay for the damages, but when the driver flees, the insurance company isn’t known and thus the funds are unavailable.

This leaves the victim to find other ways to pay for their financial losses. One way is for the injured to use their own policy:

  • Medpay: This is a provision that drivers can get on their own policy that will pay for medical bills regardless of who is at fault or who is injured so long as the insured or their vehicle is involved.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP): This works similar to medpay, but it pays medical bills and other damages like pain and suffering and loss of wages. It also pays out regardless of who was injured or at fault so long at the insured or their vehicle is involved.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured (UM/UIM): Most insurance policies have uninsured/underinsured provisions that will pay those covered by the policy for all personal injury damages if the other driver is underinsured or has no insurance. This can include when a hit-and-run driver is never found, so long as they were at fault in the accident.

California Auto Insurance

In California, drivers are not required to have medpay, PIP or UM/UIM, however, the law does require insurance companies to offer UM/UIM. This leaves California drivers to get these provisions on their own. If the victim of a hit-an-run has any of these, they can be used to help offset their losses in the accident.

Do I need an Attorney for a Hit-and-Run?

If you’ve been injured in a hit-and-run, you need to talk to an attorney who can help you find available sources of compensation for your injuries. You need to talk to a California Hit-and Run Accident Attorney today to go over your case and find out how best to get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Don’t talk to a cookie-cutter one size fits all firm, but get help form a firm that has a track record of helping those injured in truck accidents.

Call the Law Offices of Steers & Associates at 800 824 5416 or click here to contact us online. We have attorneys with years of experience dealing with every type of motor vehicle accident, and we get results against the insurance companies and their highly-paid lawyers. Call us now to even the playing field and get the compensation you deserve.