A video showed the moment a woman was hit while walking in a crosswalk Tuesday, August 20, 2019. The accident happened at the intersection of 98th Street and S. Vermont Avenue. The victim was leaving work from her second day as a grounds worker at Warner Elementary School in Beverley Hills.

She got off a bus and then started across the crosswalk when a white sedan barreled through the crosswalk striking her. Authorities pronounced her dead at the scene. Investigators believe the car is a white Mercedes CKL two-door coupe with damaged to the right side and possible missing a right-side mirror.

Police are asking for anyone with information to contact them at (800) 222-8477.

Hit and Run Fatalities

Losing a loved one in a tragic auto accident is devastating to the family and friends of the victim. When the crash was a hit-and-run, this adds another level of hurt and anguish to those affected. They are left with the loss and hurt of losing a loved one and with questions such as why didn’t the driver stop? Or what kind of person hits someone and just keeps driving?

Safety and Traffic experts say that there are many reasons why hit-and-run drivers flee. One is to avoid police and authorities because they have a warrant out on them or no driver’s license. Other reasons include that they might be impaired or driving a stolen car. Whatever the reason, the family is left to wonder why it happened to their loved one.

Hit-and-Run Compensation Problems

Another problem after a hit-and-run comes in trying to get compensation for the victim’s family. If the driver is never found, then there is no one to sue for compensation. California law allows surviving family members to sue the at-fault driver for a wrongful death. This pays the family of a deceased person compensation for things like loss of financial and emotional support, love and affection and mental anguish.

Compensation Options

If the driver is found, then his or her auto insurance policy will cover damages. However, if the driver remains unknown, the options dwingle. One is that the victim’s family could use the victim’s own auto insurance policy if the policy had uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage (UM/UIM).

UM/UIM coverage pays the insured person for any bodily injury that resulted from an auto accident—regardless of whether the insured person was driving or just an occupant of the car. The key here is that the injury came from a car accident. If the insured person dies, then this right to collect compensation under UM/UIM falls to the surviving family members.

Do I Need and Attorney?

If you’ve lost a loved one in a wrongful death by a hit-and-run driver, it is possible to get compensation for the victim’s auto insurance policy, but there are limitations and potential pitfalls. The best thing to do is to talk to an attorney who knows personal injury law, insurance law and has experience in both wrongful death and UM/UIM policy provisions.

At the Law Offices of Steers & Associates, we offer a free consultation where we can advise you of your rights and help you understand what you are up against. Don’t go it alone, call us today at 800 824 5416 or click here to contact us online and even the playing field and get the compensation you deserve.