A car crashed though a wall at a popular fast-food joint in Huntington Park, Monday, April 1, 2019. According to witnesses, a sliver sedan broke through the wall of the restaurant hitting several people from one family. The car ended up almost fully in the building.

In all, five people were hurt, two critically, and were all taken to a local hospital trauma center. Police at the scene say that two cars struck each other and the sedan veered off the road, onto the sidewalk and through some hedges before crashing into the restaurant.

It’s not clear at this time if any charges will be filed as the accident is still under investigation.

Motor Vehicle and Building Crashes

Every year, there are roughly 20,000 vehicle v. building crashes across the United States causing around $300 million in damages. A study by the Texas Traffic Institute of Texas A&M University found that the most likely building to be struck is a retail store in close proximity to parking stalls.

The institute says that the most common accident is a person hitting the gas instead of the brake when parked in a stall directly in front of a retail building. Not all happen that way, but the vast majority do. The study concludes by saying the best way to reduce these accidents is to put the parking stalls somewhere else, and if that can’t be done, then increase the heights of the curb by several inches or put barriers, like cement planters, between the stall and the building.

Common Injuries

When a car enters a building, there are two dynamics that occur leading to the most common injuries. First, the impact with the car can cause blunt force trauma injuries, and then flying debris such as wood, glass and metal can cause laceration and puncture wounds. Some of these injuries are:

  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Broken Bones (ribs, arms and legs most common)
  • Compression Injuries
  • Deep lacerations
  • Puncture wounds

What if I was Injured in a Building Crash?

The first thing to do is to seek medical attention and cooperate with the authorities at the scene. Once you are safe and getting medical treatment, then you can focus on the legal issues regarding your injury. Do not speak to any insurance agent or their attorneys. They represent their client and work to pay you as little as possible.

Next, you should talk to an attorney who knows the law surrounding personal injury and insurance. They will know how to handle the insurance company and can evaluate your case and give you advice on how to proceed.

Liability and Legal Damages

One of the questions many ask who have been involved in a building crash is can they get compensation from the car driver’s insurance if they were injured in a building. The answer is yes. Under California law, anytime someone injures another due to their negligence, the have to pay for all damages they caused. This includes when their vehicle hits something other than another car or someone on the roadways.

A good attorney knows which damages to claim for every type of crash. Some of the most common in building crashes are:

  • Medical Bills
  • Emotional Distress/PTSD
  • Lost Time From Work
  • Property Damage (Cell phones, other personal items)

In a building accident, sometimes the owner of the building might bear some responsibility if the parking stalls didn’t have curbs for example. An attorney can assess all sources of liability to get you the maximum for your injuries.

Do I need an Attorney?

Any time you are seriously injured, you need an attorney who knows the law and can evaluate your case. The insurance company agent might seem to be helping you, but they have a job to do and that is to give you the least amount of compensation possible.

Call the Law Offices of Steers & Associates at 800 824 5416 or click here to contact us online. We have attorneys with years of experience dealing with every type of motor vehicle accident—including building crashes—and we get results against the insurance companies and their highly-paid lawyers. Call us now to even the playing field and get the compensation you deserve.